Senior Data Analyst Vacancy
Senior Data Analyst
GetSmarter is seeking someone who loves getting their hands dirty and using data to solve meaningful questions. Learning analytics is centred around understanding students and their contexts to optimise their learning and the environments in which their learning takes place. Every action a student takes online contributes to their digital learning footprint, and this is something we’re deeply interested in.
Our purpose is to improve lives through better education, we believe that we can only optimise our activities to deliver a better learning experience if we leverage data to improve learning outcomes. The ideal candidate to lead the Learning Analytics function is passionate about data, bringing together technical and analytical capabilities with strategic and conceptual skills to transform data into actionable insights.
The Learning Analytics Manager role is responsible for analysing business and student data, and turning this information into actionable insights that can guide decision-making relating to the core functions within the Education Division. The Learning Analytics Manager is also responsible for liaison with the Research Manager and for ensuring that GetSmarter's data capture and analysis meets the agreed requirements of our research partners. This includes producing insights relating to the risk profiles of students, the effects and projected effects of proactive engagements on student risk profiles, the effectiveness of design choices in courseware as well as operational insights that will improve the overall value of each Education Division function in relation to key business drivers.
Tasked with overseeing a team of data analysts, the Learning Analytics Manager must manage engagements and teams in the identification, acquisition, processing, parsing, integration and analysis of large electronic data sets acquired from a variety of sources. The Learning Analytics Manager is also responsible for operating in the Technical IT and Business Process Assurance domains as the central point of contact for the Data Centre of Excellence and the Education Division data requirements.
- Develop a data hierarchy for the division that tracks all student activities and internal team/operational activities that lead to improved completion rates, pass rates and NPS on a course level. This includes student behavioural data (logins/course access, activity completion, academic performance and engagement) and the internal team data that drives this behaviour (course design, coaching interventions and technical support).
- Produce predictive models that allow for improved teaching and coaching interventions, as well as overall educational efficacy.
- Identify, acquire, verify and reconcile and analyse student and operational data.
- Use business process analysis skills to solve key business problems within the Education Division.
- Write data analytics scripts using SQL or SAS, and produce dynamic dashboards.
- Lead the vision for Learning Analytics at GetSmarter, and act as the main contact point for the implementation of the Learning Record System.
- Set priorities for data analysts, manage the team’s workflow, provide technical assistance and quality assure all work produced within the team.
- Contribute to the implementation of key systems that influence the overall data architecture framework at GetSmarter.
- Ensure that GetSmarter's learning analytics practices adhere as far as possible to the Jisc Code of Practical Learning Analytics .
- Ensure that GetSmarter's learning analytics practices comply with the necessary legal requirements (i.e. PoPI, FERPA, DPA).
- Ensure that data from course presentations meets the agreed requirements of GetSmarter's research partners, via the GetSmarter Research Hub.
- Proven working experience working in a data analysis capacity.
- An ability to maintain a balance between technical and interpersonal skills.
- Applies conceptual thinking and cognitive flexibility.
- Logical reasoning skills.
- Demonstrates high integrity and commitment to work ethics.
- The ability to work independently whilst producing and delivering results.
- Technical expertise regarding data models, database design development, data mining and segmentation techniques.
- Knowledge of statistics and experience using statistical packages for analysing large datasets (Excel, SPSS, SAS etc).
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organise, analyse, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Adept at queries, report writing and presenting findings.
- BSc in Mathematics, Economics, Computer Science, Information Management or Statistics preferred.
Job specific competencies
Remuneration: Negotiable depending on experience
Job level: Senior
Type: Permanent 40-hour working week Overtime and after hours may be
Reports to: Chief of Education and Information Architect
Start Date: As soon as possible