UNIVERSITY OF THE WITWATERSRAND
Teaching with Technology (Strategic Implementation of ICT Integration in Education)
Why this course?
South Africa’s future economic prosperity hinges directly on our ability to support the skills development of the teachers already working in our schools. In order to do this, we need to reimagine a CPD system that can help teachers develop their practice in ways that will benefit students. While education technology is not a silver bullet that can solve all of the challenges facing the contemporary educational landscape, if effectively used, it can have a pronounced impact on addressing some of the most critical challenges facing South Africa’s teachers today.
This 12-week online short course will provide you with the ability to assess and select appropriate technology to integrate into your teaching practices. By gaining an understanding of how different types of technology can be used for various types of teaching and learning activities, you will be able to adapt your own teaching practices to include a variety of technologies that will enable you to better engage your students and enrich their learning experience.
Is this course for you?
This course is designed for teachers currently practicing in the primary, secondary, tertiary and higher education sectors. In addition, this course is particularly suited to: teachers in the formal sector and trainers in the informal sector, learning and teaching professionals (education developers, instructional designers, etc.); people new to online or blended teaching, or those who want to improve their current teaching practice; as well as anyone interested in educational technology or online instruction.
What you will learn
- Orientation module Welcome to Online Campus
- Module 1 Pedagogy and the technology-enhanced classroom
- Module 2 Effective instructional strategies
- Module 3 Implementing technology-enhanced teaching
- Module 4 Integrating Personal Learning Devices
- Module 5 Creating a blended learning environment
- Module 6 Using collaborative and interactive learning tools
- Module 7 Using gamification and e-Learning simulations
- Module 8 Employing online feedback and assessment tools
- Module 9 Benefitting from an appropriate Learning Management System
- Module 10 Integrating technology into curriculum planning
- Module 11 Evaluating the effectiveness of technology-enhanced teaching
- Module 12 Refining your curriculum plan
Your success team
KOBUS VAN WYK
Kobus van Wyk has been in the IT industry for 35 years. In 2001 he was commissioned to start and manage the widely acclaimed Khanya Project in the Western Cape, one of the greatest e-learning success stories on the continent. He is currently working for Mustek, where his role is that of an e-learning activist, helping education authorities to develop e-learning implementation strategies, and serving on various ministerial task teams and commissions. Kobus has written a number of books dealing with technology in education. He is an avid blogger (http://www.e4africa.co.za) and he has lectured and spoken at conferences around the world on e-learning topics.
Here's how we've improved lives through better education
“It is so easy to study with GetSmarter. It’s convenient and I could access your website from anywhere. When traveling, I used my iPad to read notes and study.”