UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN
Web Design online short course
Why this course?
It has been said that your website is like a “virtual handshake”, helping you create an immediate and powerful first impression. This highly practical 10-week short course introduces you to the field of web design, teaching you the key principles involved in creating a well-planned, aesthetically pleasing and ultimately effective website.
View the GetSmarter Web Design Learner Showcase, featuring the design work of learners on the previous presentation of this course.
Is this course for you?
The UCT Web Design online short course is right for you if:
- You are looking to learn the fundamental skills you need to be able to design your very own website from scratch, whether for personal or professional pursuit
- You are looking to update and diversify your digital design skills, making you more attractive to employers
- You’d like step-by-step instructions and the opportunity to ask questions if you get stuck while designing your website, from an industry expert
- You want to add web design skills to your CV and potentially explore starting a business that offers web design services
What you will learn
- Orientation module Welcome to your Virtual Learning Environment
- Module 1 Introduction to web design
- Module 2 Web hosting options and design tools
- Module 3 Planning your website: Content and structure
- Module 4 Working with images
- Module 5 Visualising your website: Colour, images, fonts and layout
- Module 6 Basics of HTML, HTML5 and CSS
- Module 7 Coding with HTML5 and CSS
- Module 9 Creating and publishing your website
- Module 10 Testing and maintaining your website
Your success team
Freelance web designer
Delia Farrer is a highly experienced Web Designer, and has worked for various large companies such as Mace and Justgiving in London, and IOL and Media24 in Cape Town. Her passion lies in designing clean, user-friendly and innovative websites, and she share her extensive experience in the digital design field with her learners via the discussion forums and online videos lectures.
Here's how we've improved lives through better education
GetSmarter is a perfect learning platform for people who require flexibility. I was able to pay attention to the coursework and assignments whenever I had spare time. Online studying is fantastic, easy and accessible.”
Take the readiness test
This Readiness Test will help you assess your preparedness for this course by asking you a few quick questions relating to time management, technological requirements, your expectations, and the subject matter level - to help you confirm that this online course is the right fit for you.Take the test