Why this course?
Around 80% of South African start-ups fail in their first 2 years of operation. Yet, entrepreneurs who prepare themselves with the background knowledge and practical skills relevant to small businesses have a high chance of surviving the early years, and achieving sustainable business growth.
Through this course, you’ll gain the confidence and expertise to effectively start your own business, or better manage and grow your current small business.
This highly practical 9-week short course deals extensively with all facets of starting and running a business in South Africa. You’ll be guided through each stage of business establishment and management, from conceptualising a new business idea to selling your first product or service and growing your enterprise sustainably.
From business structuring, applicable South African policies, financial management, general management, leadership, HR, labour law, contract law and marketing – this course is designed to equip you with an in-depth knowledge regarding business best practices and requirements.
Is this course for you?
The UCT Start and Manage and Small Business short course is a great choice for you if:
- You are an aspiring entrepreneur and want to start your own business in the future.
- You’re looking to improve the running of your small business to increase productivity and growth.
- You are employed within a small business and want to contribute to the success and growth of that business, and advance your career.
Watch this short video featuring past learner and business owner, Kaylee Wheeler, to find out how this course has helped her better manage and grow her small business.
What you will learn
- Orientation module Welcome to your Online Campus
- Module 1 Introduction to the small business environment
- Module 2 Identifying new business opportunities
- Module 3 The legal environment
- Module 4 Business planning
- Module 5 Financing decisions
- Module 6 Financial management
- Module 7 Human resources
- Module 8 Effective marketing for small businesses
- Module 9 Management and growth
Your success team
Entrepreneur, Qualified Accountant & Financial Consultant
Gareth is a jack of all trades. He is a qualified accountant, specialising in tax, and a serial entrepreneur, having established and managed numerous businesses since he was 19. Gareth also acts as a business consultant across strategy, finance and sales management. He is a passionate teacher, and shares his vast experience with his learners, encouraging conversation and practical.
Here's how we've improved lives through better education
“The UCT Start and Manage a Small Business short course has definitely taught me (and in turn my husband) to better manage our business in terms of admin, legal and project management perspectives.”
Take the readiness test
This Readiness Test will help you assess your preparedness for this course by asking you a few quick questions relating to time management, technological requirements, your expectations, and the subject matter level - to help you confirm that this online course is the right fit for you.Take the test