UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN
Public Relations (PR) online short course
Why this course?
The only constant is change, especially when it comes to how, what and where companies and brands communicate and build relationships with their key audiences. Public relations (PR) is the management, through communication, of perceptions and strategic relationships between an organisation and its internal and external stakeholders.
While the face of public relations (PR) has changed significantly over time, its basic definition remains more or less constant, as it is not the purpose of public relations that has changed, but rather the “tools of the trade” through which it operates – presenting many new opportunities, but also many challenges.
This highly practical course explores the new role of public relations, and its unique place in the marketing mix. Over the 10 weeks, you will be equipped with the background knowledge and practical skills to promote and strengthen a public brand image and develop influential relationships with stakeholders and the media, within the context of the changing modern communications landscape.
Is this course for you?
The Public Relations (PR) online short course is a great choice for you if:
- You are already working in public relations or marketing, but would like to update and expand your skill set to advance your career in the new PR landscape
- You’re a business owner who would like to understand the principles and gain the practical skills to gain exposure for your business and build your brand reputation
- You have a passion for people, media or writing, and would like to start a career in public relations to suit your interests and strengths
What you will learn
- Orientation module Welcome to your Virtual Learning Environment
- Module 1 Introduction to public relations
- Module 2 Managing relationships with stakeholders
- Module 3 Content creation and management
- Module 4 Building valuable relationships
- Module 5 Online public relations (Web PR)
- Module 6 Public relations and social media
- Module 7 Public relations activities and events
- Module 8 Crisis and reputation management
- Module 9 Measuring, tracking and evaluating public relations activities
- Module 10 Creating a public relations plan (PR plan)
Your success team
PR Specialist and Strategic Marketing Lecturer
Martin has held senior positions in various local and multinational businesses in the retail, advertising and FMCG sectors, in commercial, marketing and general management roles. His career spans 25 years, 12 at a senior level, and 8 in various directorship roles. Currently, he lectures Business Science students at the University of Cape Town and works as an Associate at UCT's Unilever Institute of Strategic Marketing, and independently consults to various organisations.
Director and Owner of Cultivate Communications
A campaigner for communications that considers context as much as creativity, Rebecca founded Cultivate in 2013 after 12 years of actively working in the South African Public Relations industry. As a previous Head of Strategy for one of South Africa’s leading PR consultancies, Atmosphere Communications, Rebecca cut her teeth working with big brands, including Capitec Bank, Virgin, The Branson Centre of Entrepreneurship and kulula.com. She’s a regular conference speaker, having been a key-note at the IABC, Integrated Marketing Conference (IMC), Small Business Growth Conference and Marketing Indaba and, during her career, has lead seven award-winning campaigns, one of which was recognised internationally by the Golden Quills. She’s hands-on, thorough and personable and provides her clients as well as students with senior expertise, guidance and quality care.
Here's how we've improved lives through better education
“The course combined with my internal experience helped me secure a role as a media consultant. The course has given me the tools to make more informed PR related decisions and given me the courage to build important stakeholder relationships.”