UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN
Paralegal Practitioner online short course
Why this course?
Paralegals, also known as legal assistants or secretaries, fill an essential role in the South African legal system. Those hoping to enter this fast-growing profession need to have a combination of relevant industry knowledge, specialist technical expertise and administrative ability.
This highly practical 16-week short course equips you with a broad knowledge of South African legislation and gives you a foundation on which to build the knowledge and expertise required for specific paralegal work.
Is this course for you?
This course has been designed for both existing and aspiring paralegal practitioners including legal support staff, legal assistants, personal assistants, legal secretaries and paralegals working in a legal or commercial environment.
What you will learn
- Orientation module Welcome to your Virtual Learning Environment
- Module 1 Introduction to South African law
- Module 2 Sources of South African law
- Module 3 Classification of South African law
- Module 4 Introduction to the legal and paralegal profession
- Module 5 Private law and civil law procedures
- Module 6 Criminal law and the law of criminal procedure
- Module 7 Business law
- Module 8 Law of evidence
- Module 9 Courts and alternative dispute resolution
- Module 10 The Constitution and the impact of HIV/ AIDS on the law
- Module 11 Human rights
- Module 12 Legal comparison and perspectives on the law
- Module 13 Legal language and reading
- Module 14 Legal writing skills
- Module 15 Legal argument, logic, interview and oral advocacy skills
- Module 16 Legal research skills
Your success team
Commercial Law Attorney
Melanie’s extensive list of qualifications include a BA, an LLB, a Masters in Law (LLM), a Postgraduate Diploma in Tax Law, a Masters Degree in Tax Law (LLM), an Advanced Postgraduate Diploma in Financial Planning, and a Masters degree (LLM) in Commercial Law. She provides legal advice and financial planning support to both individuals and companies, and is passionate about training and public speaking on topics related to the law and financial planning law.
Here's how we've improved lives through better education
“I have found the GetSmarter online course to be much more efficient and stimulating than the distance learning option. In my view, this is a great system, which provides a great deal of stimulation as a result of the interaction with other students.”