UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN
Occupational Health and Safety online short course
Why this course?
Learn the skills and knowledge needed to ensure workplace compliance with the South African Occupational Health and Safety Act, and leave the course with the skills to effectively implement best practices for health and safety that are legally compliant and applicable to any workplace.
This 10-week online short course has been specially designed to offer an overview into occupational health and safety practices that can be applied to any business environment.
Is this course for you?
The UCT Occupational Health and Safety online short course is for you if:
- You want to formalise your skills and knowledge in the field with the long term view of potentially becoming a Health and Safety Consultant
- You want to take on additional responsibilities in your current role, and have identified Occupational Health and Safety as the area to do so
- You want a working knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety that can be applied to any work environment
- You want to be equipped with the skills and broad knowledge of OHS best practice in the workplace
- You want to familiarise yourself with South African legislation and regulations related to Occupational Health and Safety
What you will learn
- Orientation module Welcome to your Virtual Learning Environment
- Module 1 Introduction to OHS
- Module 2 Organisation of health and safety management
- Module 3 Risk assessment and control
- Module 4 Managing hazards
- Module 5 Managing machinery, power sources and other equipment
- Module 6 Managing hazardous substances
- Module 7 Managing health stressors and training
- Module 8 Managing construction activities and incidents
- Module 9 Preventing, preparing for and responding to fires
- Module 10 Managing health and safety performance
Your success team
Health & Safety Consultant
Having worked in various industries in managerial positions, Christian Basgen has always had a particular interest in health and safety. In 1996, Christian started his own consultancy business in the area of health and safety; outsourcing his extensive experience and qualification to all sorts of clients – from construction projects, residential developments, hospitals, and roadworks; to waste water treatment plants, renewable energy plants, distribution centers, and corporate offices.
Here's how we've improved lives through better education
“It really is so helpful to be able to learn things that you can put to practice at the same moment as you learn them, with the ultimate result that you improve your personal value and your workplace in one go.”
Take the readiness test
This Readiness Test will help you assess your preparedness for this course by asking you a few quick questions relating to time management, technological requirements, your expectations, and the subject matter level - to help you confirm that this online course is the right fit for you.Take the test