UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN
Feature Writing online short course
Why this course?
The last decade has seen significant changes in the feature journalism and marketing industries. With the rise of content marketing and brand journalism, there has been a desperate scramble for professionals able to produce quality feature articles that can help them generate readership and compete in a rapidly changing and competitive media landscape.
This highly practical 10-week short course teaches the skills and techniques needed to write professional feature articles for a wide variety of media, including newspapers, magazines, websites and blogs. Write your first full-length feature article and form part of an online writing community where you can interact with fellow writers.
Is this course for you?
If you are an aspiring feature writer hoping to sell and publish your articles, this course provides the perfect stepping-stone into the world of feature journalism.
What you will learn
- Orientation module Welcome to your Virtual Learning Environment
- Module 1 Introduction to feature writing
- Module 2 What makes feature writing different?
- Module 3 Developing feature story ideas
- Module 4 Researching the feature article
- Module 5 Interviewing for feature writing
- Module 6 Essential elements of feature articles
- Module 7 Language and structure
- Module 8 Editing your article for style and clarity
- Module 9 Journalistic ethics
- Module 10 Selling your writing
Your success team
Award-winning Journalist & Media Expert
André Wiesner is an experienced journalist, having worked on a freelance basis for many years, as well as for WorldOnline as their news editor. He also has extensive teaching experience, and was a tenured lecturer at UCT’s Centre for Film and Media Studies for many years. André now runs his own media business, servicing a variety of media needs for magazines, corporates, NGOs, university institutes, research groups and government departments.
Here's how we've improved lives through better education
“It has given me the confidence to offer content creation as one of our business services – I now know what I can do, and how to do it well.”