Why this course?
Innovative design has come to characterise every aspect of contemporary life. Interior aesthetics, in particular, affect the way people live, feel, work and play. The need for creative commercial and living spaces has led to an increased demand for interior designers with a trained creative eye.
The course offers a foundation in interior design theory, and teaches the practical skills required to succeed in this challenging creative industry. Throughout the course, you are able to practically apply your knowledge by creating 3D designs in SketchUp, which is a free industry-standard software package.
Is this course for you?
The GetSmarter Interior Design short course is a great choice for you if:
- You’re currently working in the industry, looking to start your own business or you’re wanting to pursue a new personal challenge
- You’re a self-made or aspiring interior designer and you’re ready to set yourself apart in this competitive industry
- You’re in a related field, like hospitality, property, events management, wedding planning, fashion design or furniture design
Past student showcase
We caught up with Tshego, Carey and Stephanie, past learners of the course, to hear about their experience of mastering SketchUp and developing their unique styles as budding interior designers over the duration of the course. Have a look at the projects they produced on this course here.
What you will learn
- Orientation module Welcome to your Virtual Learning Environment
- Module 1 Using SketchUp for interior design
- Module 2 Introduction to interior design
- Module 3 Drawing for interior design
- Module 4 Surfaces and finishes
- Module 5 Furniture specification and final detailing
- Module 6 Colour
- Module 7 Textiles and fabrics
- Module 8 Natural and artificial lighting
- Module 9 The business of interior design
- Module 10 Client relations and visual presentation
Your success team
Freelance Interior Designer
Kyle holds a Bachelor of Technology Degree in Interior Design from the Cape Peninsula University of Technology. He currently works as a freelance Interior Designer. Since finishing up with his studies, Kyle has worked on noteworthy projects that include namely the GetSmarter’s very own offices in Observatory; as well as the Yuppiechef offices in Lakeside.
Farrah studied Interior Design at the Cape Peninsula University of Technology. She currently works as a freelance designer and also owns and runs her own Event Design company based in Plettenberg Bay. Since completing her studies, she has done extensive travelling around the world, working mainly within the Service industry. The combination of her studies, experience, and knowledge in programs such as SketchUp, make up a wealth of insights that she will share with you on the course.
Here's how we've improved lives through better education
I have learned so much since I started my course. I’ve learned more about colour and the pairing of loose items within a design space. I’ve learned how to create a sample board and the relations of the business side of the interior design